Monday, February 9, 2009

Keeping track - mixing plans and theories.

A big tool when I started improving my health was journaling everything I ate. Most "brand name" diets do this, and set a range of something for you to stay within. Weight watchers uses points, based on the calories, fat, and fiber content of the food you eat. It is basically a simplified way of counting calories. Carb-based plans allot you a certain range of USABLE carbs (carb minus fiber, which gets complicated when you take sugar alcohol into account).

But they all advocate journaling. I created my own low-fat carb based plan. I stay AROUND 22 WW points and 20-30 usable carbs a day. I use a program on my iPhone to keep track, but you can do the same using the Internet and a notebook. The WW formula is public, and there are many sites offering info on how to count points or carbs.

It's amazing once you start journaling - you realize what you've been eating. Plus it can help you plan out your day's meals, especially if you are craving something "big."

Next - cravings...

Posted by ShoZu

No comments: