Thursday, February 20, 2014

Florida Day 6 (or "A Day in the Magic Kingdom")

February 19, 2014 - Day 6.  After doing our morning routine, we set off for the busiest and most active day of our trip - our day at the Magic Kingdom Park of Walt Disney World.  And what a day it was.

Getting to the park was no problem, and we got to the parking lots at about 10:30.  From there we took the tram to the ticketing booth, paid our admission (about $300 for 1 park...ouch, but worth it), and then boarded the monorail to the actual park entrance.  As much as I hate waiting in lines, our line experience throughout the day was actually not bad.

Except when we first got into the park.  After "signing up" for a role playing game that happens throughout the park (more on that in a minute), and getting Mickey Mouse ice cream bars, we moved on into the park.  Disney has a "FastPass" program, which allows every guest to pick three rides or attractions that they can choose to bypass the regular line, and get into the attraction sooner.  The first kiosk we got to in order to select ours had about 200 people in it, all being helped by employees, and the line was m o v i n g. . . s o . . .s l o w. . .  Until another employee...sorry, cast member, told us there was another line close, near the Jungle Cruise, that usually had less people and moved faster.  So we quickly walked to it, and were done within 10 minutes!  Thank you, random cast member!

So we picked our 3 FastPass attractions (Jungle Cruise, It's A Small World, and Haunted Mansion), and began the role playing game (called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom).  The plot is that Hades (from Hercules) has enlisted other Disney villains to collect (steal) pieces of Merlin's (from The Sword in the Stone) magic crystal so he can control the Magic Kingdom.  At the start you recieve a Portal Key card, several spell cards, and a map.  Throughout the park are portals, where you scan your key card, watch a scene, and either cast spells with your cards to defeat a villain, or recieve information on where to go next to catch the villain.  In between our rides, we would travel from portal to portal, sometimes from kingdom to kingdom (i.e. Frontierland to Fantasyland), tracking down the villains and defeating them.  There were 9 villains, of which we defeated 5.  It was Adam's absolute favorite part of our day at Magic Kingdom.


We also went on some of the more classic Disney attractions: The Enchanted Tiki Room, The Carousel of Progress, and the Pirates of the Caribbean.  We also caught parts of a Pirates skit/show outside the ride (the Captain Jack Sparrow actor was spot on...), a Mickey Mouse Dreams show on the steps of the Cinderella Castle, and a "live" Monsters Inc. comedy show.  This was especially neat, because all of the characters were animated, but voiced by live people, because the show was interactive - the characters responded to the audience comments, and the animation moved along with their voices.  It was very neat!

Of course, we also ate in the park (ice cream, slushies, frozen orangeade, popcorn) and ate lunch in Liberty Square - I had fried chicken breast nuggets, fried fish, and clam chowder.  Needless to say, I was full, and unfortunately for the next few hours, that put pressure on my liver and back, which is highly uncomfortable, and increases my pain level a bit.  But it was bearable, especially when I got to watch my family have good time, and watch my son enjoy a magical time.  I survived, and it got a little better by the time dinner time rolled around.  Not that I ate dinner, as we were busy searching for portals.  We watched the electric light parade, and then moved to the shops to pick up some souvenirs (Mickey ears and a Sorcerers binder for Adam, and a picture frame for the family).  Then we attempted to move into the least crowded spot we could find to watch the fireworks, which were great (the theme was all about wishes).  After that we headed out of the park (monorail, tram, parking lot) and "home."

Once we got home, about 9:30, we had the house to ourselves (the Kriegers were enjoying Downtown Disney), and I did something I haven't done in years...I took a bath.  (Hah...that sounds like I never wash...). I took a nice and hot, relaxing, wash away the grime, muscle loosening, end of the day bath.  Every ache, every pain, every worry, every ounce of stress, melted away as I stepped into the tub and sank in up to my chin (it's a BIG bathtub...).  I stayed in for about half an hour, then got out and started to settle in for bed.  I stayed up a little, editing a few of the last 2 days of pictures, and was practically falling asleep at the kitchen "bar."

Needless to say, once I hopped into bed, sleep was almost instantaneous.  I didn't hear the Kriegers return, and actually slept until 7am - about 2 hours past when I normally wake up, even after busy days or long nights.  It was an awesome, joyful day with my family.  I would do it all again, pain, crowds, and all, just to give my family a memorable experience.

Thank you God for the gifts and provisions you have given me and my family.  Wonderful friends; protection during travel; patience in frustrating situations; funds to make this trip possible.  Thank you God for creating this wonderful Earth, and the beauty which can be seen everywhere, whether in snow and ice, or sunny days and cool breezes.  Lord, you have already given me more riches than I could ever desire.  I want you to use me to your will; but I ask, as your son did, that if it is your will, take this cup and this burden from me, Father; but it is not my will that matters Lord, it is yours.  My own trials are nothing compared to the sacrifice of your Son; I will bear this cup as you see fit, and use my own gifts and talents to bring people to you Lord.  Just guide me, and I will follow.  Amen.

No comments: