Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Florida day 4 (or "Adventures in LegoLand")

February 18th, day 4 of our Florida vacation.

The day started out well.  I slept in a little, but then did my morning "computer routine" from my iPad in bed.  Then I got up and started the coffee for the house, and tea for me.  Before my cancer diagnosis I cut out coffee, thinking that would help whatever was going on with me.  Since then, I have become a tea drinker, and just can't get back on the coffee train.  My tea for this vacation is Bigelow "Lemon Lift".  Delicious, as I love pretty much anything lemon.  I would drink lemon pledge if it was safe!

After another long shower (see yesterday's post!), we started getting ready for our days adventures.  As an aside, I set off the smoke alarm in the house, cooking breakfast for Lisa.  It was 2 pieces of bacon, and it wasn't even smoking.

We headed off to Legoland, about 40 minutes away, at 9 am.  We made a quick stop at Publix, a local supermarket chain, to drop off a redbox movie, and pick up a card for Jon Krieger, who would be arriving this afternoon with his mom Karen.  Jon's birthday was today, and I thought it would be a nice thing!

We arrived at Legoland at about 9:50.  Parking was $14 (ouch), and we were guided to park in the absolute farthest spots from the park.  If we had paid for preferred parking ($20) we could have parked almost right next to the entrance.  Oh well - we're young (sort of), so no big deal.

We get in line to purchase our tickets (on Presidents' Day, remember) and there is one person manning the ticket window for about 300 people waiting in line to get tickets.  We were in line at 10, when the park opened, but didn't get our tickets and into the park until 10:40.  Another ouch.  I won't even tell you how much the tickets were, and Adam got in free with a coupon we got from Lego magazine!  You can look up prices online if you wish.

Now, despite the initial ouches getting into the park, it was a great day.  The weather was phenomenal, and the staff in the park was awesome.  One of the the first things Adam did was buy minifigures at one of the Lego shops.  The cashier said that you can trade any minifigures you have with any minifigure an employee in the park has (they have them on their park name tags).  Cool stuff, though Adam didn't end up trading - he liked the ones he had too much!
So we spent pretty much all day in the park, which is open from 10-5, and we maxed it out.  Adam drove a car, drove a boat, built figures, saw characters, and had a great time.  Lisa and I had a wonderful time as well, watching our little boy enjoy himself all day.  One of my highlights of the day was watching him watch a Lego water ski show.  Very cool.  The other highlight was walking with my family through Cypress Gardens, which is attached to Legoland.  I got some great pictures, and it was a nice calm way to end our visit to Legoland.

Upon returning home (after a roundabout trip to Target to pick up a couple of missed items), we ate leftovers from last nights grilling out, and then had cheesecake to celebrate Jon's birthday.  Bed came soon after, and we all slept VERY soundly!

Looking back on the day, I realize how blessed we are to be spending time with friends, in such a wonderful place.  It is well worth the drive down, and the money spent (even though I still try to find the best deal...).  The best thing I can say - spend time with your family, no matter how you do it.

No comments: